Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Hw # 56

Jay

You and Rossi went to funeral homes looking for more information and another view on the care of the dead, straight from the people who work in these homes. An aspect I valued from your post was the type of questions you asked the receptionist, because they received interesting responses from this woman. The reason why this project matters to me is that it let me understand why these people work in this industry, how I at first like you mentioned thinks it is weird to have such a passion fro death or the care of the dead. But now I wonder why is it so different from having a passion for fashion or computers? Is it because our society makes us look at this as weird? The only thing that you could've done to make this post even better would have been analyzing what she said a little more or even just comparing it to what you want done when you die. Overall good job!

http://allevidencetothecontrary.blogspot.com/2011/05/hw-55.html#comments

Megumi,

After watching "A Family Undertaker" you mention that became interested in home funerals, so you decided to research more on this and also see if home funerals are restricted in New York State. I valued the topic of this project because it is a topic that was important to you personally being that you currently live in New York and might like to have a home funeral. I also after watching this documentary found home funerals interesting, they seemed more personal than the ones done at funeral homes. Your project mattered to me because now I know that I can choose to have a home funeral here in New York, of course with attendance of a funeral director. Enjoyed reading your post, only thing could have added to make it better would have been comparing it more to regular funerals, but besides that good job!

http://meguminormalisweird.blogspot.com/2011/05/hw55-culminating-project-care-of-dead.html#comments

Kristen,

You had a brochure with overview of each type of funeral: sea burial, home funeral, cremation and memorial reef, and it was nice to just look at a brochure on it like the ones given to you in funeral homes. I valued that you taught us more about the sea burial and memorial reef something we didn't touch upon much during this unit and had never heard of before. Also visuals for a reader like your brochure filled with new knowledge but a quick read, allowing the reader to not lose interest. A reason why this project matters to me is because it lets me know there are more options than having a simple burial. So that when I make my decision i have all this prior knowledge to help me make my decision. Only thing could have done was talk more about each burial on your post besides the pictures but other than that great job!



http://khriisthebest.blogspot.com/2011/05/hw-55.html#comments


--------------------------------------------------------------------------


Michelle,

This post discusses a very interesting topic, what happens to our bodies after we die varies greatly form country, religion and beliefs. I hope everyone has the chance to plan there end but chances are it’ll happen when you least expect it, but I for one would not like to be cremated as I would fear feeling my self be set on fire. Hinduism originated in India and they believe in re-incarnation and that we never truly die just our physical body. In Hinduism, Buddhism and Catholicism death is seen as a path to something/somewhere else as atheists believe the end is the final destination. I really like how in India they have a special ritual call “Teravih” in which they mourn for there loved ones for 13 days after there funeral and respectfully do not indulge in various lavish activities. This Is very similar to my culture in Mexico in which people also mourn for various days in which they pray for there past loved ones. This really brings death To the light and the decisions we should make if we get a chance to before we die or the people who we leave behind might not put you to rest as you’d like. I would love to be buried in France or Ireland in a prairie, somewhere calm, peace full and far less crowded than a cemetery in the city. Lastly please do not cremate me. I felt this blog was very well thought out and provided a lot of information on how people like to be put to rest after death.

Mentor


Michelle,

The post/ blog explains to us that everyone does a certain funeral rite and they all believe their way is the right. But no one really knows. I have see that everyone thinks too about which way is right or wrong, An aspect I valued was "Neitzche is getting at the idea that most people look at this event or anything else through one perspective or lens". It shows how everyones opinion is formed through their experiences and religion. This project matters to me because everyone forms their own opinions of things not just death because of the differences people can never what is true. Also last year while studying Ancient Egypt and Ancient Greece (SPARTANS!) I understand a bit more about funeral rites. I think it would have been better if this had been a compare and contrast between American and Indian funeral rites and why they may be like that.

Protege

No comments:

Post a Comment