Wednesday, May 18, 2011

COTD1




This was the second time in my whole life I had entered a cemetery, and it felt eerie to enter it at first. At first I walked slowly and spoke in a whisper because I felt like I was intruding and couldn't seem happy but mournful being that I was surrounded by all these dead bodies under me. I sat down at bench and looked at all the inscriptions on the gravestones, many of which were only pieces now or had faded away. Then I thought to myself, I'll be here one day and I felt my stomach drop to even think of it. I will eventually be six feet under, while people walk around above me not wondering who I was or even caring, going about their day with their own problems and thoughts. I noticed there were black birds resting on the grass in the second cemetery I visited, which at first I thought were crows because one images them when thinking of death.

I recall the first time I entered a cemetery was in Mexico, where my grandma took me to my grandfather's grave, who I unfortunately never met in person. The cemeteries in Mexico are a bit different then they are in New York, for example they aren't attached to any church, just a land full of grass filled only with gravestones with a scenery of hills, full view of sky and smell of fresh crisp air rather then a backdrop of buildings. Another difference were the graves, they had little mini closets with a view in every side(they have glass windows) next to the grave. For my grandfathers, my grandma had a key for it and abuela tells me she frequently comes to switch the flowers for fresh ones and a new candle. Many place a picture of Virgin Mary and/or of Jesus, a rosary and candles in the closet because most of the population being catholic. This also another way to have a reason to return to the grave of your loved ones and also caring because it shows the deceased if they can see that we have not forgotten them.

I was surprised to see a lot of people visiting the cemetery, although mostly tourists but still that would have never been a pit stop if I was traveling somewhere unless I just happened upon it. While walking around in the cemetery(one at Trinity and one at St. Paul) I felt that I was finally facing death face to face, and the realization of my mortality. I haven't lost anyone, so I have no one to visit at a cemetery but when I do I would like to visit at least twice a year, to always remember them until my day comes to join them.


No comments:

Post a Comment